A long time ago, I decided that even though I read a ton of books...I may not be "well-read". So, I made up my mind to start reading "THE" List of Classics...I started with Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen because it was easy (I love that book!!!) and then I felt guilty because I was again taking the easy road and not really trying (oops:) So, I checked out War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. It isn't the biggest book I have ever read but, it was by far the hardest! I must admit, I am not all that interested in the mechanics of war. I was immediately surprised at how difficult it was for me to read and (being the stubborn person that I am) determined to finish it!I am glad I did! It really is a great book. It is complex, it follows the lives of several aristocratic families, which is what makes it hard to grasp in the beginning. It is full of Russian and French style and language (which makes it hard to follow) But, once you get all of that it is a compelling read...I enjoyed having a book that made me think. Tolstoy is a very interesting writer...he is continually interjecting his thoughts/opinions on human nature and human existence. "He denies his subjects any significant free choice: the onward roll of history determines happiness and tragedy alike. Tolstoy does not subscribe to the "great man" view of history: the notion that history is the story of strong personalities that move events and shape societies. He believes that events shape themselves, caused by social and other forces; and great men take advantage of them, changing them but not creating them." (wikipedia)
Several times in the book Tolstoy talks about how small we are as humans...how, we think we are in control of our own lives and yet God is so much more involved than we think. He says if you give two men the same problem to solve...they will each make a completely different choice based on environment, upbringing, social/economic times, age, race, etc. He really is a great thinker!! WOW! I may not agree wholeheartedly with every opinion of his but, I LOVE this guy! This is a great book and I recommend adding it to your must read list! Enjoy!


2 comments:
well hot dang miss, that's an impressive feat because of all the things you mentioned.
Did you read the unabridged version? Any translation recommendations? Was yours a good translation or would you recommend I find a different one?
I'd love to read it just to discuss Tolstoy with you! :) So fun to have a fellow fan of the slavs. :)
Wow I am impressed! Good for you. I am glad you liked it. this is one I haven't read either. I'm beginning to feel a little pressure....
Post a Comment