Saturday, August 11, 2007

Backpack, backpack!!


So much to say...so little time! I guess since it's been a week I am recovered enough to look back on this day with fondness...yeah right!! I love school supplies so, I thought (silly me :) that it would be fun to take my kids shopping for all the stuff they need for school. Well, the day came when I wasn't feeling good, I have been fighting off a cold for two weeks now, anyway, Erinn called and said he wanted me to go that day (8/3) to take advantage of the tax-free weekend. (makes logical sense right?!) Well, somewhere in my brain fog I also thought it would be fun if my mom came along! Poor mom!!!!...it had to be the worst day ever!! The kids didn't sleep in the car like I thought they would, they weren't kind or obedient, they never stopped crying, begging, or complaining. Oh, the parental trauma! We did have some funny moments though...I had no idea that Sam's feet had grown so much...He took off his size six tennis shoes to have his feet measured...size 9 1/2! Boy, am I a slacker mom or what?! So, now my ten(soon to be eleven) year old wears the same size shoes as me!! Crazy! Then as if the day couldn't get any worse...picture mom trying to shop in another department only to hear the crying kids from across the store....and laughing to herself!! ;) I had forgotten my diaper bag so as we were shopping, I discovered that Jenna would need a new outfit and some diapers! Luckily, we were in the store that carries all things that you could wish for (Target) so she got some new duds and was changed in the parking lot! As we stood in the checkout line, of the very last store we could stand, Jenna had her final meltdown and threw the biggest (loudest) fit you can imagine at the feet of an adorable and well behaved Mennonite family! Can life get any worse or funnier??? I couldn't help myself, I was laughing...what else could I do? Well, the supplies are all labeled, the backpacks are full, the teachers lists came out....and we are ready for school! Three more days....but, whose counting? :0)

4 comments:

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

Can you believe it is almost that time!??!?! I have a week longer that you, and I can hardly believe it is here! Where did the time go? I do have to say it cracks me up that we both have traditional backpacks and one "messenger" style pack. Kids are so funny trying to be so "cutting edge." I love it!

Jen said...

I'm laughing out loud! I'll have my turn some day, but for now, I'm really enjoying your 'parental' stories!

Krispy said...

Can I say that I am glad its you and not me?!?! Ha Ha Ha

Elisabeth said...

It's it amazing how you can sacrifice to do something fun for your kids and they make it into a misrible, you will look back on this and laugh kind of expirence. gotta love it!