Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Fruity

Our little strawberry patch is doing quite well this year. We are getting about three berries a day. So, I am freezing them. I think this will be great for milk shakes, and maybe by the end of the summer we can make a strawberry pie! Who knows! They are very tasty too.
But my favorite fruit this year would have to be these big black cherries! They are so delicious!
When I saw them for sale at our local grocery store...I had to buy them! They remind me so much of growing up in California. We would drive along the highway somewhere between Gilroy and Casa De Fruita and there were these little roadside stands selling these big cherries! I loved them so much! One particular time we were driving along and we had bought a nice big bag of yummy cherries, it was summer so we had the windows down. It was common practice for us to spit our pits right out the window as we drove along munching happily on our cherries! Well, on this day I was sitting in the backseat, mom was driving and Sarah was riding shotgun. I'm telllin ya, every dang pit they spit out their windows came right back in through my window and hit me! It was horrible and hilarious all at the same time! Fortunately, I still LOVE these cherries...so, I brought them home, took the boys out back and promptly had a pit spitting contest! Yup, I cant still spit a pit! Love it! Happy Summer!

4 comments:

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

Bahahahah!! I SO remember that! Except, that Mom spit them AT me the whole way to Aunt Melissa's house!! I was so grossed out, too! Sorry that they hit you too! Thats so gross, but yes, a funny memory for sure! hahaha

Jenny said...

Memories! What a funny Mother you have! I too love cherries and there is nothing like a good pit contest!

Jen said...

mmmmmmmm...again.

Stephanie said...

Ha! I too remember those stands. One of the first things that I think of when I see cherries. So fun. They haven't hit our farmer's market yet but when they do...yum!