Friday, April 17, 2009

Blogger Quilt Festival...


I was excited to hear about the blogland Quilt Festival. It sounds like fun and I am so looking forward to seeing what everyone else is doing! I am a brand new quilter...My mom has been quilting for years and I have always been a sewer but, never quilts! I was surprised to find that I really can do this! My mom got me excited about making a quilt with a cool pattern for a scrappy quilt made with all muslin stars...I just thought that quilt was AMAZING! So we did it together! We each made one from her stash (we didn't even make a dent in THAT stash by the way!:) I was in LOVE with the whole process and so badly wanted to do another one...So, we did a New Years Eve Mystery Quilt... I followed all the precutting instructions and waited for the clues to come in online! Somewhere along the way 1/4 inch seams got lost and the quilt got all messed up...I was very discouraged at this point. I am a bit of a perfectionist and don't like it when things don't go as they should. So, I determined to finish it anyway and keep trying. I started searching out quilts and quilting online and WOW I was so stunned and VERY impressed with all the amazing quilters online!!! You are all so inspiring! I was really happy to see all the improvisational quilts and wonky blocks. I LOVED that people were doing these things without patterns...I absolutely fell hard for all the designer fabric that's out there and my budget hasn't been the same since! So I have been trying new things and snatching up fabric! One of my favorites was the half square triangle...It is so versatile and so easy! and I love the instant gratification of using charm pack, jelly rolls, and layer cakes. You get so much bang for your buck!

This particular quilt I made after seeing one on the cover of a Quilts and More magazine. I took one look at the cover...realized that it was half square triangles and said, "WOW, I have got to try this!" and I did! It was interesting and challenging...and I just love how it turned out. Each quilt I finish gives me a little bit more confidence and a lot more motivation to KEEP TRYING. Hopefully someday I'll be as good as I would like to be, but, for now..I am just having the time of my life! I have a giant list (it just keeps growing) of quilts that I want to try. So I guess I'd better get going. but, before I go I will leave you with this quote:

"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before." ~ Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Click Here to check out all the other entries in the Blogger Quilt Festival...and prepare to be amazed!

Have a lovely day!
~Natalie
Posted by Picasa

30 comments:

Bunny said...

Love it! Your choice of fabrics is beautiful.

rachel griffith said...

cute.
great fabric choices.

Amy Sp said...

A great pattern that I've never seen before. Good job!

Doris said...

Great story, and a lovely quilt!

Kerri said...

what a great quilt!!

i think i feel the same way with having just started not too long ago, and love all the online inspirations! I also have a long list of ones i want to try. :)

Zonnah said...

I love the star fabric you used! The quilt is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Love your quilt and your passion for quilting.

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

you are amazing.....i am jealous. :)

Jocelyn said...

Love the quilt! Such great colors. And I love your blog too!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Love the enthusiasm of a new quilter and the wonderful work you have accomplished so far! Your quilt is beautiful.
Thank you for stopping by my blog and the nice comment on my pinwheel star quilt.
Keep up the great work!

Terri Stegmiller said...

Your quilt is great. I can see this made up in so many great color schemes.

Adina said...

Hi, you entered a giveaway on my blog (adinagreenwood.wordpress.com) and won but I'm guessing you haven't been back to drop me your address. If you still want the fabric please email me with your address. (adinalp1@juno.com)
Thanks,
Adina

Unknown said...

Love that pattern! The online community of quilters is so inspiring and freeing - I hope that you continue to grow as a quilter! Your quilt is really great :)

RG said...

Natalie, You go girl!!
I think we'll see you on the cover of mags one day... what a great quilt! I may have to make one myself!
Thanks for the inspiration :D
hugs
Robyn xx

Quilt Rat said...

Lovely piece. Are you enjoying this festival?

Micki said...

I love the stories behind the quilts! Lovely quilt!
Micki

Coloradolady said...

beautiful. Love the colors and the design. Wonderful quilt, I can see why it is a favorite.

Ariane said...

Your quilt is beautiful. I love the colors. It looks warm and cozy.

Stephanie D said...

This is such a neat quilt! I first thought how hard it is to diamonds, and then read further and saw it was HSTs, and I love HSTs also! No wonder it's your favorite!

whoopdedoo_5 said...

very awesome quilt! thanks for sharing with us!

Heather said...

looks like you're going to have a fun future in quilting.

jacquie said...

what a great quilt and story too...i'm like you sewed, but never quilted. i'm so glad i moved in this direction. you have talent! keep up the great work.

Hillary said...

That's so great! You do an amazing job! Zippity Do Dah is so fun!

Hillary said...

Nice Job on the diamonds! Such a fun pattern.

Karlene said...

Beautiful Quilt...very outstanding...love the colors...

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

That is a beautiful quilt. That it is one of your first ones makes it that much more impressive. It's fun, isn't it? Thanks for the visit. ~Elaine

Mandy said...

Lovely colours! The quilt is beautiful.

Heather said...

I like all of your quilts, you are doing a great job. You have a beautiful family too :)

Deb said...

You said you were a beginning quilter!! After scrolling down through your blog and seeing all your quilts, I couldn't believe all you've done..very pretty! Thanks for not only visiting my blog but taking the time to leave a comment!

Kathy - Pink Chalk Studio said...

Beautiful quilt, I also came to quilting late after sewing all my life and I enjoyed your story.