Saturday, February 7, 2009

Patriotism at its Best!

Today we had a very humbling experience as a family. We were privileged and honored to stand together with our community and honor the life of Chief Warrant Officer Matthew G. Kelley. He was a soldier from Cameron, fighting for our freedom and safety. He was a helicopter pilot who died in a crash in Iraq. We came together to show our love and support for the men and women who serve our country as well as the family of CWO Matthew Kelley who have lost someone they loved very much. The anti-American protesters from Fred Phelps Church were planning on being there today but, thankfully I never saw them. They would have absolutely been blocked out and outnumbered. I was so pleased to see the support and love from our town...it made me proud of us. It was so moving to see all the veterans in their uniforms, the men and women who serve as Police Officers, Firemen, Ambulance, the Marines, the Navy, the Army....they lined up along the streets side by side with hundreds of Harley Davidson bikers. They stood shoulder to shoulder among rows of flags. The bagpipers played Amazing Grace and many other lovely songs. The mood was very somber...we were there over two hours but, many were there much longer, and I didn't hear any complaints. It was a very special day and I am glad that we were able to be there for it. If you would like to read more about CWO Matthew G. Kelley click here, for an absolutely beautiful slideshow of the day click here. It is hard to describe this experience....it brought out such strong emotions...loyalty, love, pride, gratitude, sadness, and joy. The kids kept asking why I was crying and I tried to explain it to them but, it is hard to put into words. He gave his life for our freedom. And I, for one, am grateful. Thank you Matthew Kelley.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's amazing Nat. Thank you for going. You are so awesome.

Phogles said...

I was there too. We were only two blocks down from you. we were there for almost three hours. It was totally worth it.

Jen said...

Wow. The slideshow is beautiful. I can only imagine what that tremendous show of support meant for his family.